You can gather a variety of stats on the internet, the information below is meant to be a general overview gathered from some sources that have up-to-date and fairly legit information, to give you a summary of what today looks like on Facebook.
Nearly 76% of American adults, using the internet, are now using social networking sites. It's likely that you are one of them. If you are a stats person, like me, you may find the information below interesting... or disturbing... You may love or hate social media, but the fact of the matter is, it's not going away anytime soon. However, for those of you that are less than happy with the big blue thumbs up, read on to the bottom of the blog. There may be hope for a Facebook-Free Future. But don't do a happy dance yet... my prediction is that it will be replaced with another beast.
2004: 1 million
2005: 5.5 million
2008: 100 million
2010: 500 million
2012: 1 billion
And Today? How Many??
- Worldwide, there are over 1.459 billion active monthly Facebook users
- In the US alone, there are 162 million Facebook users
- 1.038 billion people log onto Facebook every single day
Who are they?
- Ages 18-29: 90%
- Ages 65+: 35%
- Women: 68%
- Men: 62%
- More than half of people without Facebook live with someone who has an account in which they use to access photos and updates.
- Indiana has 2,225,460 Facebook users.
- INTERESTING NOTE: There are 83 million fake profiles.
What are they doing?
- Every 60 seconds on Facebook: 510 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and at any given minute, 243,055 new photos are being uploaded.
- Five new profiles are created every second.
- The most popular activity on Facebook is clicking the 'like' button.
- The second most popular activity is watching a video.
- 10 Billion Facebook messages are sent each day.
- There are 17 million location-tagged Facebook tagged posts every day.
- Least Favorite FB activity? People posting too much personal information.
- 2nd Least favorite activity? Others posting photos of you without your permission.
When are they doing it, and for how long?
- Highest traffic occurs mid-week between 1 to 3 pm.
- 50% of 18-24 year-olds go on Facebook as soon as they wake up.
- Average time spent on Facebook per user, per day is over 20 minutes.
Did you know?
- Facebook is banned in China, but there's a whopping 253 million daily active users in Asia.
- Facebook currently employs over 9,000 people and it is estimated that Facebook indirectly created 4.5 million jobs in 2014.
- You can pick a "legacy contact" to post to your page and manage your account in the event of your death. The person you choose will not be notified until your Facebook account is 'memorialized' at the request of your loved ones.
And for thOSE WHO JUST WANT IT TO GO AWAY... What's the FB Forecast?
So, I'm saying THERE'S HOPE FOR YOU, TOO:)
Sources: Pew Research Center surveys, 2005-2006, 2008-2015, www.zephoria.com, sproutsocial.com, statistica.com, wishpond.com, forbes.com